Maria is the Legal Principal and National Leader of BDO Migration Services, an incorporated immigration legal practice which specialises in all aspects of Australian immigration law for corporate and private clients.
She is a Law Institute of Victoria Credited Specialist in immigration law and a registered migration agent in Australia and New Zealand.
Acknowledged as one of Australia’s leading immigration specialists, Maria brings a unique depth and breadth of immigration law and corporate and commercial related legal experience from her years of experience. This is complemented by Maria’s former advisory and senior management roles while in government service.
Regarded as an authority on immigration law, Maria is listed in “The International Who’s Who of Corporate Immigration Lawyers” (2010-2017) and has been recognised in the peer reviewed “Best Lawyers” in the areas of Immigration law (2008-2017).
Maria is a sought after speaker and lecturer, and a prolific author on all aspects of immigration and citizenship law.
Maria has over 30 years’ experience in providing specialist immigration advice to corporate clients bringing skilled personnel to Australia to meet labour force needs.
Maria also represents business, skilled and family migrants advising in all aspects of temporary and permanent residency and migration related matters including complex health and character cases.
Maria regularly advises international education providers on the requirements of the National Code and regulatory compliance relevant to education of overseas students.
With the increasing complexity of Australia’s immigration laws and the significant powers and reach of the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (the Department), BDO Migration Services can help you identify and manage risk exposures and ensure regulatory compliance.
BDO’s Migration and associated services offer preeminent advice and assistance in handling all aspects of immigration and nationality law. We provide a seamless and holistic service. We are committed to achieving successful outcomes for our clients. We work closely with BDO’s expatriate tax, global mobility and employment practices offering holistic human resources and expat tax global services.
Our preeminent skills and experience mean we offer:
- A preeminent track record and reputation as leaders in our field
- The highest level of professional legal standards and ethics
- International focus and access serving our clients nationally and worldwide
- Preeminent practical strategic experience and advice and business solutions
- Technical expertise which means your business achieves its immigration law requirements while meeting compliance measures and managing risk
- Confidentiality through Legal Professional Privilege preserving the confidentiality of communications between our clients and ourselves
- Access to cutting edge migration technology tools and systems that drive accuracy and efficiency
- Ready accessibility
- Value and results.
Maria heads our team of of migration specialists dedicated to providing strategic, expert and practical advice and business solutions in all aspects of visa and migration related requirements.
Maria is a member of the Executive Migration Law Committee of the Law Council of Australia and a member of the Migration Law Committee of the Law Institute of Victoria.
In her current and former roles Maria has contributed to shaping immigration law in Australia having advised on government policy and legal matters at State and Federal levels.
- Business Skills Migration
- Corporate governance, due diligence and regulatory compliance
- Complex matters involving health and character issues
- Federal Court Applications
- Skilled Migration
- Review Applications
- International Education
- Educational Services of Overseas Students Act & National Code
- Labour Agreements
- Ministerial Submissions
- Health issues
- Review rights
- Visa Cancellations
- Civil Engineering
- Information Technology
- Consumer Products
- International Education Services
- Bachelor of Law (Honours), Bachelor of Arts (Honours), University of Melbourne
- Accredited Specialist in Immigration Law (Law Institute of Victoria)
- Solicitor – Supreme Court of Victoria and High Court of Australia
- Accredited Immigration Law Specialist
Australian Registered Migration Agent: 9802742
New Zealand Registered Migration Agent: 201100929
- Migration Law Committee, Law Council of Australia
- Migration Law Committee, Law Institute of Victoria
- International Bar Association (Citizenship and Nationality section)
- Australian China Chamber of Commerce
- Australian Human Resource Institute
- Migration Institute of Australia
- Executive Committee – International Law, Law Council of Australia
- Convenor – Immigration Lawyers Association of Australasia, Law Council of Australia
- Founding Member – Immigration Law Specialisation Advisory Committee, Law Institute of Victoria
- National Immigration Specialisation Committee
- Nationality and Population Council
- Family Law Council of Australia
- Advisory Council, Office of Multicultural Affairs
- Deputy Chair, Victorian Ethnic Affairs Commission
- Consultant, Law Reform Commission
- Consultant for the development of the Migration Agents Examination, Australian Council of Education and Research
- Law Institute of Victoria Accredited Specialist – Family Law
BDO Migration Legal Services, Registered Migration Agents act in accordance with the Australian Migration Agents Code of Conduct. Please refer to the Migration Agent Registration Authority’s website for a copy of the code: https://www.mara.gov.au