The BDO Not-For-Profit fraud survey 2010 is the third biennial BDO Not-For-Profit survey, building on the knowledge and experience gained from the 2006 and 2008 Not-For-Profit fraud surveys.
The results of this year’s survey, combined with the information from previous surveys, provides an important benchmark for not-for-profit organisations by revealing the perception and level of fraud in the sector, examining specific incidences of fraud and highlighting the measures the sector is using to prevent fraud.
- View the 2010 Not-For-Profit Fraud Survey
Even if you have not experienced a fraud in your organisation, please take the time to read the survey and understand how the information it presents can help protect your organisation and its mission. It must be remembered that no organisation is immune to fraud and its consequences.
As with previous surveys there are positive results from the survey and some areas where the sector can improve to reduce the risk of fraud, but the good news out of the survey results is the decrease in the level of fraud occurring in the sector.
Key findings include:
- There has been a decrease in fraud in the Not-For-Profit sector compared to our previous surveys - 15% of respondents reported suffering a fraud in 2010, whilst in 2008 it was previously 16% in 2008 and 19% in 2006
- The number of respondents who see fraud as a problem in their organisation has declined to 14% from 20% in our 2008 survey
- Conversely, the number of respondents who do not see fraud as a problem for their organisation increased from 80% to 86%
- In addition, only 12% of respondents expect fraud to become a greater problem in the future
- 80% of respondents have reviewed their internal controls over the past two years.
It should be noted though that the fight against fraud is a continuing battle.
Fraud poses a significant risk to not-for-profit organisations, but this risk that can be mitigated by implementing policies and procedures to prevent, detect and respond to fraud. We believe the ongoing research we are undertaking for the sector will help not-for-profit organisations in the fight against fraud.
If you are interested in being a participant in the next Not-For-Profit fraud survey, please contact BDO Forensic Services