The Private Equity PErspectives podcast serves as a forum for private equity dealmakers to discuss navigating today’s dynamic investment environment, while preparing for challenges and opportunities on the horizon. In each episode, BDO’s Private Equity practice connects with leaders in the industry to talk deal activity, fund strategies, and portfolio company optimization.
Subscribe to BDO's Podcast Series on iTunes
Episode 4: Orion Energy Director on Creative Credit Investing
Ethan Shoemaker, managing director and principal at Orion Energy Partners, chats with BDO’s Todd Kinney about his firm’s credit-oriented investing approach as well as niche opportunities in the energy market.
Tune into the full episode for Ethan’s complete insights, including:
- Why the lower-middle energy market is ripe for opportunities
- How tax reform will impact energy investments
- The case for the energy industry’s cautious optimism
Listen to the full episode:
Curious about the future of the global energy market? Read BDO’s Energy 2020 Report.
Episode 3: Tax Reform Accelerates Private Equity's Transformation
Joe Pacello, tax partner in BDO's Asset Management practice, unpacks what tax reform means for private equity. Hosted by Todd Kinney, this episode delves into the new tax provisions with both positive and negative implications for the asset class, including:
- Why PE firms should review their entity structures and prepare for state tax reform
- How PE funds could divert capital saved from the corporate tax cut to portfolio companies
- Why private equity dodged a bullet with the ongoing carried interest debate
Listen to the full episde:
Episode 2: Ardian Director’s 2018 Outlook for Investors' Appetite for U.S. Exposure
Derek Lim, a director at Ardian, joins BDO’s Private Equity podcast about one year after the launch of the private equity firms’ first North American Buyouts Fund. Hosted by BDO’s Todd Kinney, this episode covers emerging trends in lower middle market investing, including:
- Growing appetite from Asian and European banks to finance the U.S. middle market
- NAFTA negotiations’ influence on PE-backed companies’ international expansion plans
- Outlook for private equity deal making in early 2018 including high leverage rates.
Listen to the full episode:
Episode 1: Hunting for Value in Manufacturing & Distribution—Featuring Branford Castle Partners
The inaugural episode of BDO’s Private Equity PErspectives podcast features John Castle, managing partner of Branford Castle Partners, a New York City-based, middle-market private equity firm. In discussion with BDO’s Todd Kinney, John zeroes in on the manufacturing & distribution sector and discusses dealmaking in the current environment of inflated valuations and political uncertainty.
Tune into the full episode for John’s complete insights, including:
- Navigating political uncertainty while hunting for value: How the Trump administration’s policies on international trade, tax reform, and healthcare are impacting private equity investment opportunities.
- Investing for the future: Preparing for and adapting to technological innovations disrupting the manufacturing & distribution space, including driverless cars.
- Standing out from the crowd: Three approaches private equity firms can take to differentiate themselves in an increasingly competitive environment.