Publications: Beyond ‘Buying the farm’ – Chinese investment in the Australian agribusiness sector
11 April 2017
On 28 February, the Australia Chinese Business Council (ACBC) hosted the 2017 Agribusiness Forum - Beyond ‘Buying the Farm’. More than 150 people attended the forum, which brought together key figures from the agricultural investment community to address many of the issues surrounding the agriculture investment debate.
Foreign investment has long been a pillar in the development of Australia’s agriculture and food sector, and the Forum explored the challenges around combatting investment shortfalls, identifying areas which offer the greatest return for investors, and how prospective Chinese investors can successfully navigate our investment approvals process.
By addressing these issues, the Forum sought to change the direction and tone of conversation around the issues, which have often been clouded by politics, emotion and misinformation.
Issues covered at the Forum include:
- How can Australian businesses take advantage of opportunities in China?
- What is Australia’s current foreign investment landscape?
- What’s China’s role in the future of Australian farming?
- How is the public responding to Chinese investment in Australian agriculture?
- Government and community relations for Foreign Investors
- What are Chinese firms looking for in Australian investments?
- The Australian and Chinese partnership is based on mutual investments
BDO was pleased to support the event through the production of a report that captures the key take outs of the day. A summary of the eight sessions, and the video and audio files from the Forum are available in the Beyond ‘Buying the Farm’s report.