Steve is an Associate Director in the BDO indirect tax team, who has been specialising in GST for in excess of 18 years, including the first six years as a GST Field Compliance Officer with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) prior to commencing his career in professional practice.
Due to this experience, Steve has been of valuable assistance to clients who have been selected for ATO verification/audit activities across a multitude of industries and business types while also having drafted and lodged a countless number of successful Notices of Objections against both GST and/or Administrative Penalty assessments.
When required, Steve has also completed a large number of briefs to counsel seeking their written opinion on GST and administrative decisions and / or issues as well as having represented clients on premises during ATO access visits and preparing responses to formal information requests.
Steve also has substantial experience in collating and proofing information sought by counsel for matters before the High Court of Australia, Federal Court of Australia and the Administrative Appeals Tribunal.
- Steve has been a key component of the BDO team in negotiating the industry-wide settlement offer for Inbound Tour Operators (“ITO’s”) with the ATO, which has resulted in formal settlement deeds and large refunds being paid by the ATO
- Whilst GST will always be his major focus, Steve has also achieved successful outcomes in other indirect taxes such as Fuel Tax Credits claims and additionally in respect of government incentives programs like the Export Market Development Grant scheme
- Steve has advised extensively in the property and construction industries (including retirement villages) and has been involved in many of the high profile GST litigation matters with respect to this industry since its commencement including the application of the margin scheme, commercial residential premises, ‘dual application’ apportionment for new residential premises and retirement villages
- GST advice, due diligence and private binding ruling applications
- Revenue authority audit assistance and objection preparation
- Briefing and assisting counsel in preparation for GST matters
- Property and Construction (from publically listed groups through to smaller, project specific developers)
- Tourism (across all distribution channels and supplier types)
- Finance sector
- Retail sector (traditional and online)
Qualifications & memberships
- Bachelor of Business (Accounting)
- Master of Taxation
- Chartered Tax Adviser (CTA)