Australia is globally recognised as a high-performing and passionate sporting nation and is committed to assisting neighbouring Pacific athletes who share this same passion.
The PacificAus Sports Competitive Grant program aims to support sports organisations and athletes by creating opportunities to access coaching, competitions, training facilities and expertise, allowing athletes to reach their full potential.
The purpose of the PacificAus Sports Grants Program is to:
- Develop pathways for Pacific teams to play in high-level Australian sporting competitions
- Support Australian teams to increase their presence and participation in the Pacific;
- Create pathways for emerging Pacific athletes to benefit from high performance coaching and training.
Under the program, a total of AUD $7.5m of funding is allocated. Eligible Australian and Pacific organisations may apply jointly for grants of up to AUD $80,000 (GST exclusive) to fund a specific sporting activity. Successful organisations will be required to match the value of DFAT’s funding contribution at a ratio of at least AUD $1 for every AUD $4 of grant funds received.
To be eligible to receive the grant, you must:
- Be an Australian or PacificAus sport organisation
- Have experience delivering high level training or competitions
- Have an existing relationship with, or the support, of an Australian or Pacific partner sport organisation as appropriate (e.g. if you are an organisation located in Australia, your partner organisation must be located in the Pacific)
- Match the DFAT’s funding ratio either financially or in-kind, including volunteer hours.
Round one is currently open, with applications closing at 1.00pm AEST on 18 February, 2022. Applicants will be notified of their outcome in April 2022.
For successful applicants, grant activities may commence from 1 June 2022 and must be completed for a duration of one year from the activities commencement.
How to apply
Applications must be submitted through the Government’s online grant application service.
PacificAus Sports Grants is an open and competitive process with all applications being subject to a merit-based evaluation. There will be annual grant opportunities as part of this program.
For more information about the PacificAus Sports Competitive Grant, please contact your local adviser.