Michelle is an Associate Director in the National Risk and Ethics team at BDO in Australia.
Michelle combines her postgraduate qualifications in education and communications with her risk management, auditor independence and project management skills and experience to provide advice and support to the business and manage key projects which ensure BDO in Australia complies with relevant standards and legislation.
Michelle is passionate about empowering stakeholders with the knowledge and expertise to assess and manage risk effectively by developing communication, guidance and training which promotes a culture of consultation.
Michelle has over 10 years risk management experience. Prior to working at BDO, Michelle assisted a global accounting firm in setting up a risk management function within their Corporate Finance business in Dubai and managed independence due diligence for firm acquisitions and scope of service consultations for a global accounting firm in Australia.
- Providing advice on risk, ethics and independence technical consultations
- Developing ethical interpretations for new service offerings
- Providing independence advice and support to audit teams servicing SEC Foreign Private Issuers
- Chairing Risk Service Line Representative meetings and liaising with representatives
- Updating and seeking approval from the National Risk Management Committee in relation to various risk and ethics projects
- Providing support and training to the Central Risk Team as they process inbound and outbound conflict checks
- Revising the whistleblowing policy and procedures and developing training to ensure compliance with the amended whistleblowing act
- Revising the non-assurance service policy and developing automated templates, guidance and training to ensure a streamlined approach to non-assurance services across the business
- Developing and launching independence training modules
- Developing and launching an anti-bribery and corruption policy
- Developing a national Internal Inspection Programme policy and associated procedures
- Developing communication and guidance for stakeholders in relation to the revised UK Ethical Standards
- Developing a Modern Slavery Statement and action plan
- Application of auditor independence rules under APES, IESBA, EU PIE, Revised UK Ethical Standards and SEC rulesets
- Project management skills across varied and diverse projects
- Quality management best practice and process improvement
- Member of the National Risk Management Committee
- Member of the task force for certain global risk and ethics projects