Niel is an Associate Director at BDO and specialises in internal audit and risk management. He is responsible for leading client engagements, focusing on practical solutions that are easy to implement and will improve organisational effectiveness and efficiency.
As a Certified Internal Auditor and Fraud Examiner, Niel manages and delivers internal audit and risk engagements for clients in industries ranging from local to federal government, local councils, hospital and healthcare facilities, and global resource and manufacturing industries.
- Internal audit
- Risk management
- Fraud and corruption
- Governance and compliance
- Project management
- Business process improvement
- Niel has managed and delivered risk management engagements for a large mine transition, going from an open cut to an underground mine, to process reviews including metal accounting, maintenance management, contract management, SOX and security reviews. He also delivered process improvement, governance and compliance, and fraud and corruption investigations for various mining local and global organisations.
- Niel was seconded to the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) where he was the project risk manager for the Same-Sex Marriage Survey. He was responsible for developing the project risk register, conducting risk workshops and educating all streams leads on how to identify and define risks and controls. Niel was also responsible for weekly updates to the ABS Senior Executive and Board around the status of risks and control effectiveness.
- Federal government
- Local government
- Public sector
- Natural resources
- Bachelor of Communications (Commercial Accounting)
- Certified Internal Auditor
- Certified Fraud Examiner
- Professional Member, Institute of Internal Auditors
- Member, Association of Certified Fraud Examiners