Small to medium enterprises are the engine of Australia
Australian small to medium enterprises (SMEs) face many challenges navigating onerous tax system obligations while meeting the daily needs of running their businesses.
We understand that SMEs are numerous, diverse and comprise mostly of family businesses and ranging from businesses where one person can simultaneously be the owner, manager, employer and employee, through to businesses involving a number of families and employing a reasonable number of unrelated employees (as identified by the Australian Government’s recent Re:think Tax Discussion Paper on tax reform). Our aim is to help SMEs face your obligations with confidence, knowing you have BDO by your side.
Our BDO private client specialists have extensive experience working with private and family-owned businesses. We listen in order to understand the needs of your industry and your business so we can provide tailored advice on the full range of business and tax related issues. From start-ups through to well established enterprises, we can help you with:
- Small business Capital Gains Tax (CGT) concessions – advising business owners considering selling their business, business assets or their ownership interest about the most tax effective sale options with the aim of achieving significant CGT savings.
- Private company loans to shareholders and associates – providing advice on the tax implications of outstanding related party loans, understanding requirements relating to loan agreements and repayments; and the best way to deal with loans, payments or debt forgiveness.
- Capital allowances – advising on the existing and generous new concessions for small businesses, including the immediate deduction for assets ready for use valued at less than $20,000 until 30 June 2017.
- High wealth individuals – providing tax effective structuring advice and managing tax obligations and liabilities.
- Succession and estate planning – providing planning advice on structures that include wealth accumulation, succession and asset protection considerations.
- Growth strategies – recommending strategies for financing growth via debt and equity, trade sale, employee share plans and management buy-outs.
- Trusts and Managed Funds.