James is a Partner within the Melbourne BDO audit team, bringing experience and expertise gained from nearly 20 years working in a professional services environment, with a specific focus on financial services.
James has significant experience leading external audit, internal audit and controls reporting engagements within the superannuation, asset management and life insurance industries, where he is able to provide insights over both financial reporting, governance, and risk and compliance functions. James has a strong focus on enhancing internal control environments and has a wealth of experience operating in APRA and ASIC regulatory regimes.
In a time of significant regulatory change, James also has broader financial services consulting experience, with specific skills relating to merger due diligence, APRA comprehensive reviews, AML/CTF independent reviews, Board performance and remuneration reviews, strategic reviews and the delivery of outsourced service provider tenders and subsequent transitions.
James provides insights and value in his engagements with clients. His significant exposure with Boards and Audit Committees has provided him with an understanding of the strategic issues that entities encounter on a day-to-day basis. He thrives on providing services aimed at resolving the concerns of Directors in an approachable, pragmatic and commercial manner.
- External audit
- Internal audit
- Internal controls reporting
- Due diligence and corporate finance
- Financial services consulting
- Financial services
- Wealth & asset management
- Government & public sector
AIA Australia, Diversa: Funds for which Diversa act as Trustee, First Super, HESTA, Hostplus, Invesco (Australia), JCP Investment Partners, LUCRF Super, Mercer Superannuation Trust (including NZ superannuation funds), Omega Global Investors, Victorian Independent Schools Superannuation Fund.
Fully outsourced and co-sourced internal audit engagements for a range of financial services businesses, including but not limited to:
- Superannuation trustees;
- Complex defined benefit superannuation funds;
- Super fund administrators;
- Responsible entities and investment managers;
- General insurers; and
- Superannuation Fund mergers
- Board performance reviews
- Board remuneration reviews
- Administration and custodian tenders: facilitation of and subsequent transitions.
- Member, Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand
- Member, Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland
- BSc Geography with Economics (Loughborough University, UK)
- Registered Company Auditor
- APRA Fit and Proper Auditor – superannuation and life insurance