Sherif is BDO’s Global Natural Resources Leader responsible for the strategy and development of the sector within BDO internationally.
Sherif commenced his career in 1987 with BDO in London in audit. He moved to Perth permanently in 1997 and was admitted as a Corporate Finance Partner of BDO in 2001. In 2007, Sherif was appointed as the head of the BDO’s Corporate Finance Team and in 2009 he became the Chairman of BDO in Western Australia. Sherif is a member of the Board of BDO Australia.
Sherif’s valuation experience covers small, medium sized and large businesses in both the private and public sector and extends across a wide range of industries, with a focus on the mining sector. His valuation reports have been required for many different purposes including transaction support, capital raising, application for funding, change of ownership, disputes between owners etc.
Sherif has led BDO teams for a number of mergers and acquisitions and has prepared numerous independent expert reports and other special investigation assignments. Having prepared over 400 public independent expert and investigating accountant’s reports, Sherif is recognised as a leader in his field in Australia.
Sherif also has prepared numerous independent expert reports and reports for other special investigation assignments. He has extensive experience in litigation and forensic matters for in the Federal, Supreme and Family Courts as well as the Singapore International Arbitration Centre.
Sherif is a Fellow of both Chartered Accountants Australia & New Zealand and the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England & Wales. Sherif is a CA BV (Business Valuation) Specialist as recognised by Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand.
Sherif has presented on valuations at many industry events and seminars and has contributed the chapter on Independent Expert Reports in the book ‘Schemes of Arrangement’ which is published by Federation Press.
- Prepared over 300 public Independent Expert Reports, mainly for transactions in the natural resources sector.
- Acted as Investigating Accountant for over 60 Initial Public Offerings.
- Expert witness for matters before the Federal and Supreme Court in relation to valuation and loss of profit matters.
- Contributed the chapter on Independent Expert Reports in the book ‘Schemes of Arrangement’ which is published by Federation Press.
- Member of the WA State Business Law Section Committee of the Law Society of Australia, representing accounting matters.
- Contributed to the drafting of the Independent Expert section of ASIC’s Information Sheet 214 ‘Mining and resources – Forward Looking Statements in 2016.
- Was invited by ASIC to represent the Corporate Finance community in the consultation surrounding the revision to Information Sheet 214 in late 2016.
- Worked as liaison between ASIC and the VALMIN Committee to finalise the wording and practical application of the 2015 edition of the VALMIN Code.
- Provided submissions to the Senate Inquiry into the Corporations Amendment (Crowd-sourced Funding) Bill 2016 and was invited to participate in the roundtable hosted by Treasury in formulating the Bill.