There are many reasons why corporate groups need to confront Australia’s complex tax laws. It could be as a result of an acquisition, divestment, expansion offshore or simply to rationalise an historically complex structure. Whatever the reason, proper attention to tax and commercial outcomes is critical to maximising the benefits available through structuring and/or restructuring. And it is vital to partner with a tax adviser that understands your needs. At BDO we apply our detailed tax and commercial experience to ensure corporate groups structure their affairs to maximise all available opportunities.
Quality tax advisers for wherever you do business
How BDO can help
Our corporate tax experts are experienced in advising on major transactions, providing opportunities for tax effective results, and avoiding any pitfalls. We combine our understanding of the transaction, the commercial and tax implications, and your desired outcomes to deliver results.
We provide specialist advice across key tax areas affecting corporate groups of any size, including:
- Outlining the advantages and disadvantages of forming a Tax Consolidated Group.
- Advising on implications for when one group acquires another or an entity leaves a Consolidated Group.
- Advising on the implications for continued availability of tax losses being brought into the group and re-setting the tax base of the underlying assets.
Mergers and acquisitions
- Advising on structuring a complex merger transaction - whether it’s a wholly domestic transaction or involves offshore operations.
- Structuring the financing arrangements to realise value through novel financing instruments.
- Preparing for and executing an initial public offer.
- Undertaking tailored due diligence procedures to ensure issues are identified.
- Structuring the debt and equity mix in a transaction to ensure that the deductibility of interest is not compromised.
Taxation of financial arrangements
- Advising on the differing tax implications when arrangements qualify for treatment under the Taxation of Finance Arrangements provisions.