This guide is intended for individuals moving to Australia for employment purposes. It aims to provide an overview of the main Australian tax considerations and issues that affect employees working in Australia and is current as at July 2023.
Coming to Australia: An Employee's Tax Guide covers the following topics:
- Visa requirements, including requirements for visitors, temporary visas, permanent visas and the APEC Business Travel Card;
- Tax compliance, including PAYG and lodgment of tax returns;
- Categories of income, including employment income, employee share schemes (ESS), interest income, dividend income, rental income and capital gains tax (CGT) for Australian residents, temporary residents and non-residents;
- Taxes and levies, including income tax, medicare levy, superannuation and other taxes and levies such as gifts and estate taxes, payroll tax, land tax, and more;
- Tax planning for employees;
- Double taxation agreements.
This guide is general in nature and you should not act upon information contained in it without seeking professional advice based upon your personal circumstances. Should you require assistance, please contact a BDO adviser, or learn more about BDO's global expatriate tax services.